PARIS — French Open organisers have rejected immediate changes to the tournament’s prize money structure, despite growing pressure from leading tennis players who have threatened stronger protests, including a possible boycott, over revenue sharing at Grand Slam events.
Roland Garros tournament director Amélie Mauresmo said organisers would not revise the 2026 prize money package, even as she acknowledged players’ concerns over compensation and representation. This year’s French Open prize fund has been increased by 9.5 percent to €61.7 million, but players argue the rise does not go far enough when compared with the revenues generated by the sport’s four biggest tournaments.
The dispute has intensified in recent weeks, with several top players calling for Grand Slam tournaments to raise prize money to about 22 percent of revenue by 2030. Players say that figure would bring the majors more closely in line with ATP and WTA events, where a higher proportion of income is distributed to athletes. Reuters reported that Grand Slam tournaments currently distribute about 15 percent of revenue to players.
Women’s world number one Aryna Sabalenka has been among the most vocal critics, warning earlier this month that players could boycott the French Open if prize money demands are not addressed. Coco Gauff has also supported calls for stronger collective action, while other leading players have expressed frustration over what they see as limited consultation in decisions affecting the tour.
For now, the protest is expected to take a more limited form. Several players plan to restrict their media appearances at Roland Garros to the mandatory 15-minute sessions, refusing additional interviews as a way of signalling dissatisfaction with the Grand Slam authorities.
Mauresmo said she regretted the players’ decision to cut media time but insisted the tournament was taking their concerns seriously. She said discussions with players would continue during and after the competition, which begins on Sunday.
The dispute has spread beyond Paris. Wimbledon officials have held talks with player representatives in an effort to prevent similar protests at the All England Club, while the wider debate over player welfare, pensions and decision-making has become a major issue across the sport.
The row comes at a sensitive moment for tennis, with the Grand Slams facing pressure to modernise governance while maintaining their commercial independence. For players, the French Open standoff has become a test of whether collective pressure can force the sport’s most powerful tournaments to share more revenue and give athletes a stronger voice.



















